Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Rut-roh

Suddenly this week several of my classmates are turning to me for advice with the homework.

All I can say is: if I'M the one who has the best grasp of the material at this point, then we are all up a creek without a paddle. . .

But we are keeping our sense of humor. Tonight Peter attempted a means of explaining dummy variables that set most of us up to be "dummies." And I can't speak for the others, but every time I think of the computer's Korean outburst (which happens more than it should, at really inconvenient times) I break into fits of laughter.


ADDENDUM TO PROVE MY POINT:
I got goofed up on how to read the chart that tells us if we set up the dummy variables correctly for the regression. Unfortuntaely, we set them up backwards in the test. Fortunately it didn't screw up the whole analysis but it did mess up all the numbers and interpretations of the dummy variables. Hmm. . .perhaps Peter's little analogy was not so far off base after all. . . :)

Also, Dr. Luedke is HARD CORE. He used logistical regression throughout his doctoral thesis when he'd never had a class in it - he had to figure it out on his own.

No comments: