Sunday, June 26, 2011

Absentminded Me

I wanted the previous post to stand alone, but this was how my day began: so, if I'm paying attention to what I'm doing when I'm doing it, I actually have a pretty decent visual memory, to the point that even many months later I can give a fairly accurate and detailed account of an experience, or find my way around someplace I haven't been in years.

The problem is, I am almost never paying attention to what I am doing when it comes to the minutiae of life, like where I set my glasses or my keys or my cell phone. I know this about myself and I try to compensate for it by creating a few designated places for those items to "live" and that's where I look when I need to find them.

Despite this, I'm unfortunately still not very good at placing these things in their self-appointed homes, so I spend an inordinate amount of time searching for glasses, keys, and cell phone (at least the phone answers when I call, provided I have remembered to turn the ringer back on upon leaving the library - if someone would invent a way for glasses and keys to make noise on command I would be eternally grateful to them).

I'm afraid my absentmindedness reached new levels this morning, when I could not find my slacks. I have three pair of black dress pants, and I knew one of them was in the hamper after the funeral on Wednesday. The other two were not hanging in the closet as they should have been - "oh, I must not have ironed them yet," I thought. Except they weren't on the "to iron" rack either.

Now I was really confused and wracking my brain and checking everywhere, muttering "How the #*&! did you manage to lose, not just one, but TWO pair of black dress pants?"

I finally found them, folded neatly and buried underneath something else. Thinking back, I suspect they were victims of the same term paper as this - I probably just folded them quickly and thought I would put them away properly later only to cover them up and forget they were there.

UFF. DA. Some days I honestly wonder how I've managed to get this far in life, because, well, seriously. . .


PS - Thanks to Cat's Staff and Mary for your feedback on the new template. Before I ditch this font completely I wanted to experiment with it a little more. I made it bigger and to me it looks easier to read, but what do you think?

4 comments:

Cat's Staff said...

I saw you at Pride...I can confirm you were wearing your rainbow stole. I was talking to someone at the time at our MN Atheists booth, so I didn't get a chance to talk to you. Maybe next Pride.

I didn't get a chance to check out the Pride Dissenters area, or whatever they were calling it. Someone said they went to heckle whoever was there, but no one showed up.

I did manage to give one of our "Saved by an Atheist" cards (not my idea, but a lot of people liked it) to a Lutheran pastor. I couldn't guarantee her that she wouldn't be saved if she didn't take a card.

Things certainly have changed. In the old days it was just us (atheists/humanists) and the Unitarians who were there as groups. Now there's all kinds of religious groups there. I had to walk past a dozen on the way to the mini-donuts.

Catrina Ciccone said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Catrina Ciccone said...

The atheist contingent was behind us in the parade, so we saw them walk by as we were watching once we finished marching. I did wonder if you were in among them, then realized I don't know what you look like so couldn't have picked you out of the crowd anyway.

For a small bit walking back through the park I was behind someone wearing a t-shirt for their campus atheist/skeptics/humanist group, and it said "The best da*ned group on campus." I thought that was hilarious!

Though, being a true Lutheran, I'm not into decision theology. I preach a scandalous grace the proclaims you are saved even if you don't "take a card," (because, left to our own devices, none of us *ever* takes a card) - but this does have a tendency to get me in trouble with Baptists masquerading as Lutherans. . .ah, but that's a post for another day. :)

I'm glad things have changed. I wish change had come for the Lutherans much sooner than it did, but as it is we are still dealing with the fallout from those who feel the change happened too quickly and was too ill-conceived (even though the way the change happened, they themselves are not being asked to change really at all).

Cat's Staff said...

I didn't march in the parade, I have flat feet. I went to set up the booth and started handing out our propaganda.