Monday, June 6, 2011

Bunte Republik Crocus Hill

In a couple of weeks, Dresden's Neustadt will be home to a weekend-long street festival known as the Bunte Republik Neustadt. The Neustadt is the bohemian part of town, a lot of artists and punks and dogs live there (dogs because the punks tend to own a lot of them, and they're not so particular about picking up after them, so watch where you walk).

I went to the festival the summer I lived in Dresden (in fact, that was one of the summers that it got kind of rioty), and I remember thinking "This is kind of like Grand Old Days on steriods."

I went to Grand Old Days for the first time in seven years today, and now I'm thinking the two are even more alike than I originally thought (except Grand Old Days is, in typical American fashion, way more commercialized).

No comments: