Saturday, July 2, 2011

What a Day Costs

This is fantastic and horrifying all at the same time. Sadly, I don't know how to embed vimeo, so you're just going to have to click the link to check it out.

But it reminds me of a post I intended to make a couple months ago - I had to estimate a yearly budget for a grant I was applying for and was shocked to discover that, as simple and barebones of a life as I think I lead (and I think by most American standards, I'm living pretty simply), it still takes $29,000/year just to keep myself sheltered, insured, transported, fed, and clothed.

In MN the federal poverty line for a family of 4 is $22,350.

How in the world are people supposed to make that happen?



Thanks to Nick Clark for the video and Mary Hess for pointing me to it. In her frustration with the state government shutdown, Mary is going to continue posting videos from this Minnesota Without Poverty class assignment, so keep checking her blog if you'd like to see more.

No comments: