Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Be Still My Nerdy Heart

Behold, Hamluke, a mash-up of lit major geekery and Star Wars geekery from the brilliant mind of some genius named Brad. Not only is the play hilarious, well-directed, well-acted, and creatively costumed, it is accompanied by pieces from the original Star Wars score redone with period Shakespearean orchestration. Clearly, the Force is strong in this one. See it you should. Get thee to the Fringe Festival.

Another piece of awesomeness that has come into my life this week: The Muppets. Auf Deutsch.

Of course The Muppet Show would have been dubbed over, the Germans dub everything over. And people these days put anything and everything on youtube. Why didn't I think of this sooner? Behold the treasures waiting to be viewed:

Star Wars und Schweine im Weltall


Shakespeare und Tierklinik


Und am besten: Der Schwedische Koch!




The funny thing is, I can understand the Chef in German better than I can in "English!" The Germans actually made up more dialogue and articulated it enough to make it understandable! [though not being able to understand him in English is half the fun; that, and pistol-weilding lobsters liberating their muchachos!] Here is the turtle soup sketch in English so you can compare.

Vicar of Minneapolis, I love you for making me aware this was out there on the interwebs. Thank you!

Finally to round things out with some good old-fashioned church geekery - I'm working with a group of folks from my church and our two partners in the ministry center to write our own Sunday school curriculum for the coming year. It is so. much. fun. I hope the kids have fun with it too (and, you know, learn something to boot!).

ADDENDUM FOR MORE CHURCH GEEKERY:
I just put together that the dude who played "Darthius" was Mike Rylander, aka Jonah from recent years of Augsburg Fortress VBS stuff (I did not recognize him in his costume tonight).

2 comments:

Mary Hess said...

So I hope you'll share the sunday school materials you create with the rest of us, via feautor!

Catrina Ciccone said...

I'd be all about that but as it is a collaborative work I'll have to check with my colleague. My co-author mentioned something about trying to get it published when all is said and done, I'm not sure if she meant published for pay or just published period, so it's out there for others to use. I'll check with her and get back to you!