Wednesday, August 24, 2011

The Play So Nice I Saw it Twice

Kristin is about to move to Princeton to start a PhD in Old Testament, so she's making the rounds of her Twin Cities goodbyes this week. We were originally planning to just hang out today around/after lunchtime but then she heard the Guthrie was taping the H.M.S. Pinafore for public television this afternoon and was looking for for an audience to fill the house. So, we did that instead.

And I have to say, I wish to retract my previous criticism of the new orchestration - it totally didn't bother me today. But I could also clearly hear all the words to all the songs today. So either something was off with the balance in the sound system when I went to see this back in June, or I was previously sitting in a dead spot for the speakers (in June I was sitting in the center of the balcony; today we were five rows up from the bottom of the slope).

I also want to reiterate - the whole company and production is fantastic, but Robert O. Berdahl and Christina Baldwin are both especially worthy of a shout out, he for his facial gymnastics (which was a treat to see up close this time), she for her incredible vocal range, both of them for their comedic timing.

It closes on August 28, which means you've got less than a week left to see it, folks. Get thee to the Thrust Stage.

No comments: