Monday, February 8, 2010

How Do I KNOW That Guy???

I thought the Doritos commercials were the best of the bunch during last night's Super Bowl. As we're watching the "samurai" one, I kept thinking "I know I've seen that guy (the one who gets the "Dorito star" in the neck) in something, but what and where?"

It was still bugging me this morning, so I tried googling it - get a hit on WCCO - it turns out he is from the Twin Cities, that commercial was filmed there. I get a name, Mike Rylander. So I look him up on imdb - he's originally from North Dakota, had small parts in a few things, but I haven't seen any of them. . .so how do I know this guy? Was he in some local live theater production that I saw long ago? Did he go to St. Olaf with me? It's such a small Lutheran world - is he a friend of a friend? It's really bugging me that I can't figure it out.

Finally it clicks, later this morning, when I happened to be on the phone with my mom. I think I freaked her out because all of a sudden, apropos of nothing, I yelled out "He's Noah!" And she's like, "What? Who's Noah?" And I say, "That guy from the Super Bowl commercial - he's been playing this character Noah in the Augsburg Fortress VBS curriculum the past few years, that's why he looked so familiar!"

Another mystery solved! :)

2 comments:

Jodi Carter said...

Yes. You figured it out. But he's Jonah, not Noah. Close. Same Testament. Yea, Mike! Yea, Jonah!

Catrina Ciccone said...

I got to thinking more about it later today and realized I got the character's name wrong - I was hoping to get on here and fix it before anybody caught the mistake. . .too late! :)

Thanks for the correction!