Saturday, February 6, 2010

The Politics of Snow

I have two thoughts on this fine February morning. . .

The first is: PA weathermen are full of crap. Most of the time they get everybody freaking out about "major snowstorms" that turn out to leave an inch of snow on the ground, if that. This time, they totally downplayed this Nor'easter, saying it's going to hit hard in the VA/DC/MD area south of us, but then head out to sea before it came this far north - Lewisburg was supposed to get "a dusting - maybe up to 2 inches."


My car had 5 inches of snow on it this morning.


Ah well, at least I finally got to use my new shovel. :)


My second thought, on a related note: It is days like today that I really wish we had assigned parking. I just spent 50 minutes digging Hermes the Honda out - and I don't mean just brushing all the snow off, I mean clearing a 2-3 foot perimeter all the way around the car. I did it because I am Minnesotan and that's what we do - when snow falls we don't sit on our butts and wait for it to melt, we dig ourselves out. I also did it because I don't want to be wading through 5 inches of snow tomorrow when I am dressed up for church. I also did it because right now the snow is relatively light and easy to move - the more it gets compacted from people driving or walking on it, the heavier it will get, the icier it will get, the more treacherous it will be to walk on, and the more labor intensive it will be to move - so I struck while the snow was still cold, if you will. But I have someplace I have to be later today, and I know as soon as I leave, one of my neighbors is going to go pull into the spot I so nicely cleaned out. If we had assigned parking, they couldn't do that. . .hmm, maybe I can rig up something to block the space off, and leave a note saying they are welcome to borrow my shovel and dig out their own darn spot.

2 comments:

Mary Hess said...

In Boston people used to put lawn chairs out in the spots that they had shoveled out. It was actually quite funny, to see a long line of brightly colored lawn chairs marching down the street in the middle of a snow storm!

Catrina Ciccone said...

I did something similar - I put out an old folding chair, with a sign taped to it explaining where my shovel was and giving them permission to borrow it to shovel out their own cars, but please don't take this parking space! The chair was still there, as was my space :), when I came home.