Saturday, January 29, 2011

Small World (Flaketown Division)

I've decided Eileen Campbell-Reed needs to come to town more often, because I do way more fun cultural stuff when she's here.

So tonight ECR, Tim K. Snyder, and myself went to the Black Dog to hear a jazz trio, one member of which (Nathan Hanson) is a friend of ECR's.

As we were waiting for them to start, Eileen told a story of how she and Chris made a small-world connection of their own a couple years ago, as they realized Eileen's friend Nathan is the brother of one of Chris' best friends from seminary.

During the set break Nathan came over to talk to us. Some other friends of his had to leave so they came over to say goodbye, then they turned and looked at me and said "You're from Forest Lake, right?" and they knew who I was and pronounced my name correctly. I did not recognize them so I was like, "Yeeaahh. . .are you guys from Forest Lake?" And as soon as they told me their names I knew who they were (in fairness to not recognizing them by sight: he's grown a beard and she is hugely pregnant, which is not how I knew either of them in high school).

After they left it turned out Nathan had a connection to Flaketown as well - he's taught off and on at the Music Connection over the past twenty years, knows all my old band directors.

It's a crazy small world after all. . .

No comments: