Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Trouble with Grapevines (and: The Rumors of "B's" Death are Greatly Exaggerated)

Today we had a perfect illustration of how quickly incomplete information can go "viral."

Parishioner A works with a nephew of Parishioner B. Nephew mentions at work Friday that his aunt died. He does not say which aunt, and Parishioner A does not think to ask, and doesn't think too much of it until this morning when Parishioner B's husband is not in worship (B herself is homebound). Now Parishioner A wonders if Parishioner B was the one who died, and innocently makes inquiries of other members of the congregation to see if they've heard anything to this effect.

Parishioner A also asks me, during the sharing of the peace, if this is true. I look and notice Parishioner B's husband is not present, and though I have heard nothing in regards to his wife's death, I realize with a sinking feeling in my stomach that I was not home for most of yesterday and I forgot to check my voicemail when I did get home, so it's entirely possible Parishioner B did die and I just haven't picked up the message yet. So now I'm worrying that the husband is grieving and has left me messages and I'm the schmucky pastor who hasn't gotten back to him.

By the end of worship, probably a dozen people are fluttering around wondering whether Parishioner B is alive or not. Some of them have heard this rumor from someone other than Parishioner A, which tightens the knot in my stomach, thinking multiple sources mean greater likelihood the rumor is true. But then I talked to the "other" sources and asked them where they got their information - it all tracked back to Parishioner A's inquiries.

I went to Parishioner C, a neighbor of the Bs, to see if they could shed light on the truth. They had heard nothing to the effect of B dying, and thankfully made some phone calls while I was teaching confirmation, and found out that B is, in fact, still with us.

A few observations:

1. I'm amazed at how quickly and exponentially the incomplete information spread - and we are just a microcosm of the wider world. Gives me new appreciation for how widely and rapidly information (accurate, inaccurate, and incomplete) can reach people, especially when aided by mass media tools like television or the internet.

2. I'm wondering if the correct and complete information will spread as rapidly. I've already received one phone call, from Parishioner D, to tell me that they also made some calls after worship and discovered B is still alive. I'm wondering how many more of those kind of calls I'm going to get, and how many more calls the church office is going to get wondering if B died, and how many calls the Bs themselves are going to get from well-intentioned folks trying to track down the truth and/or offer their condolences.

3. In this case the whole situation was very innocent and well-meaning - people genuinely wanting to reach out in support to a brother who may be in grief. Even so, I think our experience this morning clearly illustrates just how dangerous a communication tool the grapevine can be, and I shudder to think of the damage that could be done by someone with malicious intent who is purposely dispersing blatantly false information.

4. McCain's presidential campaign currently manifests my worst fears from observation 3. He has apparently decided he likes living in Bush's "Opposite Land" (a place where you name things the opposite of what they actually do, like calling rollbacks on air pollution and air quality standards the "Clear Skies Initiative"). And he and Palin have adopted the Bush/Cheney/Rove strategy of just repeating lies often enough and through enough different sources until people believe they must be true (and they're doing it with both smears about Obama and lies about their own records - like McCain being such a "maverick" when in truth he votes with Bush 90% of the time, or Palin rejecting the "Bridge to Nowhere" and fighting pork barrel spending, when in truth, she was all for the bridge until it was politically expedient not to be, and she kept the money from the federal government anyway, sans bridge!). I hope - I pray - the American public is smart enough not to fall for this strategy again, and resourceful enough to research the truth for themselves.

But I also fear the power of the grapevine, especially when it's under the power of the dark side of the force.

No comments: