Tuesday, September 2, 2008

I Came, I Saw, I Did Not Conquer

SVC rehearsals started up again tonight. We're singing Rutter's Requiem and Gounod's Mess e Solennelle for our fall concerts.

Let's just say, sight-singing in Latin is not one of my spiritual gifts. You would think, for as many masses as we've sung these past few years, I would be getting the hang of this Latin stuff, but each time we start a new piece it's a struggle for me. And it's even more difficult when the music editor can't be bothered to print the altos our own line of text, forcing us to hunt for it above both our own musical part and an English translation of said text (why do you hate altos so, music editors of the world? we are good and kind people who just want to sing a little harmony!).

The music is gorgeous, so I know it's going to sound beautiful and be really fun to sing once we pull it together. But right now
we're in that icky "this is hard and not so much fun to work on" stage. May we get through it quickly!

No comments: