Saturday, December 18, 2010

My Big Fat Italian Christmas

Ciccone Christmas this afternoon. First time I've been able to make it in five years, I'm pretty stoked.

I've decided to go old school and bring Nana's rum cake. I'm still getting used to baking in this oven, so it looks a little overdone, but I think it will still taste good.

People used to tease Nana and say they could only have one piece, otherwise they might get drunk from the cake. She'd get embarrassed and say "all the alcohol bakes out, it's just the flavor that stays."

For the record: the rum you put in the batter may bake out in the oven, but I'm pretty sure the rum you add to the sauce right before you pour it all over the cake doesn't evaporate that quickly. ;)

1 comment:

Cat's Staff said...

I was always suspicious of the claim that it all evaporated off in cooking. I ran into this chart recently.

Merry Christmas.