Friday, December 19, 2008

Oh the weather outside was frightful. . .

Actually, the weather could have been worse. But whoever was in charge of plowing today deserves a good kick in the rump. The church is out in the country, but directly on a main backroad that leads right into town, to the hospital, and is somewhat well-traveled as a result. When I left to go to the office just before 10 am, with at least an inch of snow on the ground, this road had not been plowed at all. I was doing my best to see and stay within the tracks of those who had already been on the road this morning, praying that no one would be coming in the opposite direction on the blind curves, and basically did a rolling stop to get across the incline at the unregulated intersection of death.

While I was at the office, a plow came by in the same direction I had taken to get to the church. When I left for a meeting at 11:30 am, now with at least 2 inches of snow on the ground - which was actively being covered with a fresh batch of sleet - the side of the road heading into town had still not been plowed at all. I made it down the church hill alright, but started spinning my wheels 3/4 of the way up the next hill. I tried applying gas more slowly - no deal. I tried backing up a little and getting my momentum going from a differing spot. Got stuck in the same place. After more dinking around, a woman from the house at the top of the hill came out to talk to me and told me of a back way to the back way that would take me around this hill but still get me into town - all I had to do was back my car down the hill to catch the other road!

I thanked her, and did just as she instructed. By the time I got around the hill and back onto the road into town (mostly on roads that had also not been plowed), the plow had finally come by in the direction I was heading, and had sanded the road to boot. This made the trip in infinitely easier - but by now it was nearly noon. Nearly noon before a fairly significant road was plowed for the first time!

At least I figured things would be better once I got to Hwy 15 - which is the major 4 lane North-South state highway in this part of the state. Yeah, not so much - it looked like it had been passed by once (on the inner lanes it was debatable whether even that happened).

I mean, I realize PA doesn't have the breadth of equipment and manpower that MN has to deal with such storms, but today was freaking ridiculous. Because they do get enough snow here that they should have a good gameplan for how to handle it, and this was by no means the worst or most snow we've had since I've lived here, so I really don't understand why the plowing situation was so horrendous today.

Alright, that's enough from scrooge for one night. Here's hoping the next round (due to hit Sunday) goes better.

No comments: