Monday, December 15, 2008

Down and Dirty Reviews

Ok, these will be quick, but here's my take on some of the stuff I've been watching and reading of late:

First, a film:

Death at a Funeral
Hilarious dark comedy from Britain. Every pastor should watch this. In fact, every pastor should own this, and watch it to unwind on the day of a funeral with a particularly dysfunctional family. If you've ever had a funeral this nutty - all I can say is, I'm sorry!

Next, some books:

Giving to God: The Bible's Good News about Living a Generous Life by Mark Alan Powell
There was nothing earth-shattering in what Powell had to say here, it's pretty much what I already believe about stewardship, he just says it so much better than I ever could. What I particularly like about his approach is how all-encompassing and how accessible it is. I think it would be a good resource for shattering the paradigms of those who limit their understanding of stewardship to "The money I give to the church." Also nice - each chapter concludes with some good conversation-starting questions, so he clearly intends it to be read and discussed in small groups. I'm thinking about using it with our council this year.

The Good News from North Haven by Michael Lindvall
So I found this little gem at Loome's while I was waiting for them to look over 4 bags of books I was trying to sell. Turned out, they didn't want any of my books, but I still wanted this one, so I came home with more books than I left with - my uncle still gives me crap about that, but I digress. Sort of Woebegone-esque, in this slim volume of short stories we walk through a calendar year with the pastor and congregation of Second Presbyterian Church, in the fictional small town of North Haven, MN (allegedly out west of Mankato). An enjoyable read, and eminently preachable (some of the stories could serve as narrative sermons in themselves).

Testimony: Talking Ourselves into Being Christian by Tom Long
This is one of the books in the practicing our faith series, and is full of great insight on worship, preaching, the hunger for authentic God talk, the interweaving of our episodic narrative with God's grand narrative, and the implications of all that for our every day lives. Very accessible and engaging - read it - you won't regret it.

Coming attractions: a discussion of Australia, which I saw on vacation. Lots to talk about and unpack there, requiring more time than I have tonight. Another day. . .

PS - The weather was gorgeous - and more importantly dry - on Saturday, so I'm happy to report, there is now plenty of crisp krumkaker to last through the holidays! Woot.

No comments: