Thursday, December 18, 2008

A Day in the Life

Man, today was a long day. For the curious, it went something like this:

Return phone call from message received too late the previous evening - check in with parishioner who just got out of the hospital.

Get picked up by Bob and Carol (parishioners with a truck!), who are gracious enough to help me find, haul, and set up a Christmas tree.

Receive phone call from secretary regarding a parishioner in crisis.

Call said parishioner to find out what's going on. Go to their home to comfort them and pray with them.

Quick stop at the church office, to check in with secretary and discuss everything that needs to be done between now and noon on Christmas eve. Strategize a game plan to get it all accomplished.

On to the local ministerium meeting/Christmas lunch.

Work on the newsletter (this would be one of the things that needs to get sent out before Christmas eve).

Meet with engaged couple for pre-marital counseling.

Bring communion to and visit with couple who are homebound.

Slap together a "report of recent activity" for the council meeting. Return another phone call whose message was received too late previous evening.

Attend council meeting.

And now I'm home, but will probably spend the next couple hours finishing up stuff for the newsletter and proofing the Christmas Eve bulletin, with a break to watch Grey's Anatomy if it's new.

Whew - like I said, a long day. Yesterday was not nearly so hectic, but thanks to a number of random errands I had to run for work, I found myself driving around town with a case of communion wine in my trunk, and my guitar and a rather large camel costume in my back seat (the wise guys have a return engagement in a couple weeks). It's a good thing my lead foot didn't get me in trouble, or I'm sure the officer would have wondered what in the world kind of party I was headed to! :) Some days, this is just a weird gig. . .

No comments: