Monday, September 5, 2011

On a Stiiick, Day Four

I was 90% sure I was going to use that extra ticket today, and then last night I found out Jeni and Colin were in town and were going to the Fair today, so that sealed the deal.

We began with a malt



and the Princess Kay butter sculptures in the Dairy Building (surprisingly - something I hadn't done in my previous three trips).



From there we were all over the place, but it was fun to introduce them to parts of the Fair they had never explored, like the Wildlife Walk in the DNR building





and the newspaper museum in Heritage Square (no pics of that, sorry).

We took the Sky Ride, and Colin told us a story about when he was 7 and had gone to the Fair with his mom and his two younger brothers. They got on the Sky Ride but it got stuck and they ended up suspended in the air in this small little gondola for 3 hours!!! He was like, "I think they must have added these mesh screens later, because I distinctly remember dropping pennies and suckers and stuff out the window."

We also discovered while waiting in line for the Sky Ride that Colin grew up down the street from my great-grandma, once again proving it's a small, small Lutheran world. That kind of stuff just fascinates me - how many times might he and I have crossed paths as kids - and then as young adults we even went to the same college and seminary, but he was just enough younger than me that we had no overlap either place - so we didn't really know each other or become friends until we were somewhat older young adults. Crazy.

But I digress. . .it was an awesome last day at my happy place, made even happier by the chance to catch up with these good friends. I think we're all thinking a Ciccone-Grangaard Fair Day needs to become a tradition. :)

This closing picture is for Eileen, who - tragically - did not make it to MN for the Fair this year. She put in a request that someone eat some mini-donuts for her. We were more than happy to oblige.



So long, my happy place, and thanks for another great year! I'll see you again next August!

No comments: