Saturday, September 10, 2011

Fruitful Prejudices

Let's face it, I'm a good card-carrying progressive, when it comes to most "ists" in my life, I'm trying to actively deconstruct them. I strive to become ever more mindful of the ways that I am racist and classist and elitist, etc, etc, etc, so that I can work on NOT being those things so much as I currently am, so that we can all live in a little bit better world.

However, there are two "ists" in my life of which I am fully aware, completely unashamed, and have no intention of changing, ever.

I am unabashedly statist and unabashedly collegist.

There are a lot of lovely places, filled with a lot of lovely people, all throughout the rest of the world - I have thoroughly enjoyed both visiting and even living in these spectacular places.

But there is no state greater than Minnesota.

Similarly, there are a lot of fine institutions of higher learning in the world - I have a lot of friends who are exemplary graduates of these upstanding schools.

But there is no college greater than St. Olaf.

I mean, where else on this planet would they creatively set the academic expectations to The Sound of Music and enlist professors from multiple disciplines to sing it to you?

Fram, fram, baby.

No comments: