Sunday, July 5, 2009

Me and My Imaginary Friends

I've written before about the wild imagination of my young friend Olivia. I am happy to report she must have everything patched up with the princesses. I surmised this from yesterday's 4th of July picnic, where she happened to be the only child present. I think she was getting a little bit bored, and knowing that Auntie Catrina is always up for a game of tag, she asked if I wanted to play.

At first she wanted to play freeze tag, as we did the week before with Henry, Liam, and Jack, at Uncle Patrick's birthday party. Without the other kids there, I didn't think that was going to work - we had only a tagger and a taggee, no one to unfreeze whoever was tagged. So we were just playing regular tag, trading off being it, when about five minutes in, I seriously saw the lightbulb go off in her head, and she calls out "Catrina! I know how we can play freeze tag! My imaginary friends can unfreeze me!"

She was completely sincere, and I had to bite my tongue to keep from chuckling at the adorable earnestness of her thought. Instead I said, "Uh. . .ok. Wait, what happens if you freeze me? Can my imaginary friends unfreeze me?"

"Oh yeah, if you have some, sure!"

So, for the sake of freeze tag, I resurrected some old imaginary friends. And I can only assume, if Olivia's friends are willing to play along and help her at freeze tag, they've gotten their act together since last year. :)

No comments: