Saturday, February 14, 2009

Signs of the Times

While I can reliably arrive at the Harrisburg airport a mere hour before my flight is scheduled to leave and confidently make it through check-in and security, and arrive at my gate with time to spare, the Minneapolis-St. Paul airport is much larger and much busier, so I normally give myself the full recommended two hours to negotiate it. And there have been times when MSP was so busy, even two hours was cutting it close, and I found myself racing to the gate just in time to begin boarding.

But last Tuesday evening was not one of those times. In fact, the airport was eerily unbusy. I didn't have to wait in line to check in or to get through security, which has never happened to me before. I mean, even Harrisburg at the crack of dawn has a line - not a very big line (hence the ability to arrive only an hour early) - but a line all the same. I've gotta say, while the experience was admittedly convenient, it was also kind of creepy because it was so unusual. And I can only chalk it up to the current state of the economy combined with the rising cost of airfare and baggage fees - people just aren't flying.

On other fronts, All My Children has been pimping V8 juices, Prego sauces, and Campbell's Soup for the past two weeks, in glaringly obvious, whack-you-over-the-head kind of ways. I know product placement has been common in movies for many years already, but it hasn't been as predominant on television, and especially not on the soaps. On the one hand, the way the characters bring up the products in their dialogue is so random it's kind of funny, and became a running joke between my mom and I, as I would randomly offer her a V8 throughout the week I was home. But, seriously, I'm hoping it's just a temporary thing as part of their promotion of women's heart health awareness, and not the latest, greatest way for them to stay financially solvent, because the humor is wearing thin at this point.

Happy Valentine's Day,
C.

No comments: