Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Hymns We Sing

It's funny Choral Girl started this meme today, because this morning I led a hymn sing at a local nursing home, which meant singing a lot of schmaltzy, old-timey stuff like In the Garden, The Old Rugged Cross, The Church in the Wildwood, Blessed Assurance, Battle Hymn of the Republic, etc, because that's what the folks there love to sing, those are the hymns that most shaped them, the songs they learned in the cradle and are taking with them all the way to the grave. Since tomorrow is Reformation Day, I did throw in A Mighty Fortress for the sake of any Lutherans in the bunch, because I hope that someone will come and sing A Mighty Fortress with me when I can no longer get to church on Reformation Day.

In any case, that got me to thinking, on the drive back to church, as to just what hymns will be sung at nursing homes by the time I'm rolling around in one. Because, with all due respect to my elders today, I don't want to be singing In the Garden 50 years from now - it's just not a hymn that I find inspiring, comforting, or life-defining in any way.

But there are so many other hymns that have shaped me and continue to hold strong influence over my life. . .so, I need some time to think about it, but CG I consider myself tagged.

1 comment:

Choralgrrl said...

EXcellent. Will look forward to it!