Monday, October 6, 2008

Cute Kid Stories (Worship Division)

Molly (9 months) learned to crawl, and loves to go exploring and show off this new skill. Her family no sooner got to worship this morning than she was crawling under the pews to visit and play with the kids a couple rows behind them. Her mother warned me I might have to "return" her at some point during the service, in case she wandered her way up front to help me with the sermon!
Her dad held on to her, so it didn't happen. . .this time. :)

Alex (13 months) has figured out he can make all sorts of cool noises and echoes in our sanctuary and has been pretty vocal lately as a result. A couple weeks ago, right as I was getting into the home stretch of the proclamation in my sermon, he called out "Yeah!" and his timing couldn't have been more perfect - I actually broke with my script and looked up at him and said "That's exactly right, Alex, yeah! You got it! Yeah!"

Today, during the hymn of praise I could hear him making some noise, and when I looked over to him, he was waving furiously at me, and he smiled big and waved even faster when he saw that he grabbed my attention. It was too adorable, and was giving both his parents and I an acute case of the church giggles. I wanted to wave as enthusiastically back to him, but I knew the congregation couldn't see what was going on and would wonder what in the world I was doing. So I just did a little wave and kept singing through the chuckling, while they pulled out a sippy cup to occupy his hands.

They're not only cute, they're profound little theologians - unafraid to wander into new territory and make friends with new people, unafraid to use their voice and respond enthusiastically to the gospel - no wonder Jesus said we should all receive the kingdom as a little child. . .

1 comment:

Choralgrrl said...

EXCELLENT conclusion, friend. :-)