Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The Trouble with Memorial Day

I don't have a problem with Memorial Day itself, mind you. I don't even have a problem holding some kind of observance of Memorial Day that involves clergy in some way. My hometown always had a commemoration down on the beach or (in inclement weather) at the American Legion. It was sponsored and organized by the veterans (as well it should be), who always asked the high school band to play, and usually asked some local clergy to pray. That was fine.

The trouble I have in this context is the tradition in this congregation to host a Memorial Day service in the church (in conjunction with our UCC neighbors across the street). The first year I was here, I started just a few weeks before Memorial Day, so I was just told this is what we do, and it was the UCC's turn to host so their pastor organized everything.

It was appalling. I don't remember everything the speaker said, but it was something along the line of all Muslims being terrorists and all of us having the responsibility to fight them at home and abroad, and his rhetoric was completely black/white, with us or against us. And for the readings my UCC colleague had chosen the Romans passage about submitting to the government because they are only in authority by God's design - a troublesome passage on most days, but hackle-raising in this particular scenario.

I couldn't believe we were, effectively, putting the stamp of Christ on such a hate-filled message. At our next council meeting, I shared my concerns and basically said that can NEVER happen again.

The next year was our turn to host. I planned the service and gave the homily, all of which had a very humble and repentant flavor to it by design (beating swords into plowshares, asking God to make us instruments of God's peace, and all that). The handful that show up to this thing are usually people who served in or lived through WWII or Korea, so I talked about how they or their loved ones made tremendous sacrifices of body, mind, spirit, even life, in a war that was supposed to put an end to all war. I thanked them for their service, and for what they suffered for the sake of others. Then I apologized that we have not been better stewards of that gift. Apologized that we have asked their children, and now their grandchildren, to put their lives on the line and make similar sacrifices still today. And then I encouraged us all to seek ways to become better stewards, to become instruments of God's peace. Basically, I preached Memorial Day as a day to remember, a day to repent, a day to resolve to do better. And they didn't run me out of town on a rail, so the peacenik pastor's message must have resonated with the people. One person even asked for a copy of what I said.

Last year, back at the UCC church. The speaker wasn't as offensive as the first year, but I was still uncomfortable with his content, considering we were gathered there in the name of Christ. And in the context of this service, the Romans passage once again made me cringe.

This year was our turn to host. As I've said, in my opinion, this is most properly a civic, not a church function, and this year I had a perfect excuse to abdicate any responsibility for the service - I was going to be out of town for the three weeks prior to Memorial Day. The joint cemetery committee agreed to take over the planning. Whew!

. . .except then, of course, I had no say in what happened in the service, other than my own Scripture reading (knowing my colleague would once again tell us to submit to the authorities, I read from Colossians 1, telling the authorities to submit to Christ). So in the context of worship Sunday night, we pledged allegiance to the flag (yes, we have a flag in our sanctuary - in my time here, we've had bigger fish to fry, so that's a hill I've selected not to die on for now - at least it's tucked into a corner behind the organ, visible enough for those who want it there, obscure enough for those who don't). And our speaker was once again retired military who gave a very abbreviated, very triumphalist history of the American military (I suspect James Loewen and Howard Zinn picked up this disturbance in the Force and let loose a primal scream) before addressing the modern challenge of terrorism. Thankfully, not as offensive as the first year's speaker, but still not a message or service I'm comfortable having in the church.

So, I'm not really sure what to do in the future. On the one hand, I really don't think the church is an appropriate venue or sponsor for this observance, so I really want no part in it, outside of saying a prayer or reading a piece of Scripture that leans towards peace. On the other hand, this is a long-standing tradition between these congregations, they are going to keep doing it until the handful of folks who attend are all part of the great cloud of witnesses. If I took a more active leadership role like I did two years ago, I could keep the tone less nationalistic, at least in the years we are hosting.

I'm curious to hear from other people in this matter. What are your thoughts or experiences of the church/state dynamic in relation to Memorial Day? (moe, if you're out there, given your background I'm particularly curious to hear your reflections) What do you think my little nonviolent activist self should do the next time around?

That's all from me. For other poignant thoughts on Memorial Day, check out what T had to say on the Charmer blog.

Peace,
Catrina

No comments: