Thursday, April 10, 2008

Grace Makes Beauty Out of Ugly Things

So this week I'm finally reading Christian Scharen's One Step Closer: Why U2 Matters to Those Seeking God (only two years after Mary asked me to take a look at it - d'oh!).

The book is fantastic, and kind of ends up being an accessible little theological primer in itself, in addition to being a reflection on the theology of U2. In the first section, Scharen covers several Biblical forms of communication (thanksgiving and lament in the psalms, wisdom, prophecy, parable, and apocalypse), then in the second section covers the theological categories of faith, hope, love, and the now-and-not-yetness of our existence. In each chapter he first summarizes the form or the theology in question, then discusses how U2 expresses or exemplifies that form or idea in their music.

So there's my plug for the book as a whole. On a personal note, my jaw about hit the floor as I was reading today, because Scharen shares a story from his time in the parish, when someone informed him he was personally going to hell and accused him of leading his flock astray.

Why? Because "I was willing to say that God would have mercy and offer love and forgiveness to anyone. They [the accusers] desperately wanted to draw up lines with some in and some out. Because I didn't draw lines, I was clearly permissive, liberal, and probably loved sinners."

My jaw dropped in shock because I have, word for word, endured almost the exact same situation here (my person never went so far as to say to my face that I was going to hell, they just strongly implied there was a special place in hell being reserved for me, because I was leading my flock astray, because I had the audacity to preach and teach God's scandalous grace).

As Scharen notes, pastorally it puts one in a ugly spot, because at the same time that you are striving to defend God's graciousness, you are also struggling internally with a surging lack of graciousness felt toward your attacker.

On the one hand, it's kind of a relief to know I'm not the only pastor who's gone through this experience. On the other hand, it's kind of sad to know how many people out there have such a narrow and dictatorial understanding of God. And unfortunately, they seem to be the ones who talk the loudest. As Matt would say - no wonder so many people hate Christians.

Thank God for the grace that makes beauty out of ALL our ugly things.

1 comment:

Mary Hess said...

So I hope you'll be excited to hear that we're close to hiring Christian as a new worship professor at Luther (only step left is for the Board to agree)! I'm glad that you're enjoying his book.