Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Nunc Dimittis

I find myself feeling sick at this news. Rich was my college advisor, one of my Great Con professors, and an incredible guy all the way around. A beautiful life cut far too short, and another heartrending loss in a family that has born more than its fair share of heartache. Pastor Benson's letter to the St. Olaf community said, "He was vintage Rich right to the end, with a head full of poetry, a heart full of love, and a spirit full of contentment and faith, not fear." Of the many things I will always remember and celebrate about Rich DuRocher, the strength and grace of his faith is foremost on the list.

A small glimpse of who the world has lost, from an April 22 entry in his CaringBridge page:
Spring thoughts. Watering my garden this morning and pulling a few weeds is about all I can manage today. Maybe that's all right. If we can only do a little, let that little go to feed new life, eliminate a few bad habits of ours, maybe encourage someone who needs our help. In the coffee shop and commons room for interfaith services at Cornell University, a saying of Daniel and Philip Berrigan was painted in big, 60s style fashion: "Be a little more careful about living things than about anything else." Thirty years after seing that sign, maybe I'm beginning to get it. Seize the day.


Lord, now you let your servant go in peace. . .may he rest in the wholeness of your eternal embrace, and may you comfort Karen, Mary Clare, and the whole DuRocher family as they grieve this tremendous loss.

No comments: