Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Seeking Tech Support

Ok blogosphere, I need your help. Google groups does not like me. I don't know what I did to offend it, but it has given me troubles in relation to two completely different groups this past week. I got one of them sorted out, but the other is a real doozy.

So, in order to facilitate and encourage participants in the Learning Pastoral Imagination Project staying in touch with each other and the project, they were put into private google groups. The original project assistant created and managed these groups. In the process of transitioning her out of this job and me into it, she added me to the groups and made me a manager. Somehow in that process, google groups also accidentally swapped my email in for hers, so I was allegedly in the group twice, as myself, and as Sally (both of us listed under my same email address). I could get into the group then, which we thought was me getting in as myself, but turns out, it must have been letting me in thinking I was Sally.

So Sally went back in and changed her email address back to what it should be, and then removed herself from the group, so now she can no longer get into it. The problem is, now neither can I. I can log in to google groups with this email, but I'm not part of the group, I can't even find the group, because it's a private one.

I have tried logging in with the password that worked when it thought I was Sally. That didn't work. I have tried changing my password to something different, thinking maybe it's still thinking I'm Sally, who's now removed from the group. That didn't work. I tried acting like I forgot my password, hoping it would try to reset for the me that's in the group. That didn't work. I tried digging out the emails telling me I'd been added to the group and clicking directly on the link to see the group - that didn't work, it tells me I have to petition the manager to be admitted. So I did that, and the email came to me! To the email address that supposedly isn't part of the group!

We've sent an email to Google, but they're not exactly quick on the tech support end of things. I'm not sure what else to do, outside of me reforming new groups with myself as the manager, and one of the professors in charge of the project (who still have access to the group but are not managers) going in to the existing groups to archive whatever info is already in there they don't want to lose.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks,
C

1 comment:

Mary Hess said...

Have you asked Mark Soljhem or Ted Wilder at Luther about it?