Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Mountains and Glaciers and Lakes, Oh My!


Lake McDonald, Glacier National Park


I spent last week in northwestern Montana, and not to go skiing.

In fact, I don't know how to downhill ski. The only time I've attempted it was the annual 6th grade field trip to Trollhaugen many, many years ago. After an ominous (but sort of impressive) wipeout on my first run down a "simple" hill, I spent the rest of the day snowplowing very slowly down each successive trail, and failed to see how alpine was superior to nordic skiing, which I already knew how to do and knew I enjoyed.

But I digress. . .some folks may wonder what kind of fool goes to western MT in the middle of winter with no intention of skiing the Rockies. But I had more important plans - my friend Deb has been pastoring out there three years now, and I had yet to go visit, though I'd been promising/threatening to help this beach-loving California girl learn to appreciate winter since the day she moved to the frigid north. So, I was finally making good on my promise, visiting Deb, and also getting to meet her new hubby Brad and dog-wonder, Kodi. But there was not much winter appreciation to be had - I landed in the midst of their February thaw! It felt like spring, but that was nice too - and meant I got to enjoy gorgeous views of the mountains for most of the week.

These pictures do not do the scenery justice, but at least give a glimpse.


Flathead Lake

1 comment: