Monday, August 10, 2009

I Thought We Weren't In Kansas Anymore

One of the perks of living in Pennsylvania is that tornadoes, while possible, are supposed to be rare.

But you'd never know that from the weather we've been having this summer. There was a funnel cloud touching down in New Columbia and Watsontown just a few weeks ago, and yesterday afternoon we had another doozy with both "mild rotation" in the stratosphere and wicked bow echo straightline winds on the ground.

At one point, I seriously thought my windows were going to blow out. And I was torn between the desire to run quick and close the drapes (in the hope that they would absorb or at least slow down any flying shards of glass), and the fear of said windows shattering on me precisely as I walked into the living room to close said drapes.

In the end, courage (or stupidity) won the day, and I snuck up on the windows from the side (hoping potential damage would hit expendable extremities, not puncture vital organs).

I think my fears were well-founded, because when the worst of the storm passed and I opened the drapes, I was greeted by this:

No comments: