Thursday, January 29, 2009

Precariousness of the Pennsylvania Roadway

Holy crap for crap. . .I'm still a little shaken, not stirred, by what just happened.

Peg and I carpooled to the worship and music meeting tonight, and on our way home, shortly after we left the church, we were cruising merrily along, talking about Vacation Bible School, when out of nowhere a deer ran into the side of Peg's car!

Seriously, it was like this thing just apparated right next to the car - she had her brights on and wasn't driving very fast, yet neither of us saw it coming until it was just there.

In the split second between the flash of fur in my peripheral vision and the loud thud of the impact, I did have the presence of mind to brace myself and think "So this is how I'm going to die - getting run over by a deer?"

Amazingly, it did not come through the window. In fact, it didn't even put a dent in the car! For as loud as it hit, we thought for sure it did some major damage, but it didn't. Weird. . .though, in that split second, Peg did have the presence of mind to pull the car away from the deer, more into the center of the road - not a hard swerve, but maybe it was enough to minimize the force of the blow.

Whatever it was, here's a prayer of thanks that I'm sitting with a computer, not Bambi's head, in my lap right now.



'night,
C.

No comments: