Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Paging St. Anthony

I'm normally a bit of an absent-minded professor, but these past couple of weeks have been ridiculous.

First I lost half of my warmest pair of gloves. Then I managed to misplace my sunglasses (prescription sunglasses to boot - pricey to replace!). And now my yoga teacher has apparently fallen off the face of the earth. Or moved to India to join an ashram. Or entered the witness protection program.

At the end of our class last fall, we had talked about the possibility of her coming to teach a six-week class at the church. She said she would do it if I could get at least 7 people interested, which I did. She was actually very excited about the idea, as was I - it seemed like a situation where everybody wins - yoga instructor gets paid for practicing yoga, I get to keep learning from a great instructor at half the price the university was charging, people in the congregation and surrounding community have a low-impact way of improving their physical and mental health, and the church starts to shift its paradigm from private religious/burial club to community resource.

I've called several times over the last two months to try to set up the class, and always the cell phone went straight to voicemail. I left messages and figured she was busy with the holidays, or was maybe traveling a lot. Never heard back from her. Called again last week, and the number has been disconnected. I googled her name (it's thankfully unusual) to make sure there hadn't been a freak accident I hadn't heard about, but no obituaries came up. So, she has inexplicably disappeared, which makes me both sad that there will be no yoga at UIC this spring, and even moreso worried for her well-being.

But I'm trying to stay optimistic. I've been retracing my steps with the other lost items, and I did find my glove tonight, soaked and muddy but still there at the edge of the parking lot in Selinsgrove where I accidentally dropped it two weeks ago. And I've determined I lost the sunglasses the night of the Oscars - I took the confirmands bowling and then went to an Oscar party at Beth Ann and Karl-John's. The bowling alley hasn't seen the glasses, so I'm really hoping they fell out of my coat pocket at the Stone's, and now that they are back from vacation, I can finally find out.

In other news of the found, this past Sunday I finally "found" a college classmate and neighbor who has recently moved to the area (or it may be just as fair to say she found me). I had noticed the move in our last class newsletter but was unsuccessful finding a local phone or address for her and her husband. I was going to wait until things settled down after Easter and try to get a bead on them through the alumni office, but wouldn't you know, they came to our SVC concert this past Sunday! I heard a familiar voice call my name when I walked into the post-concert reception, and there they were. She didn't realize I had moved to Lewisburg a few years ago, so was quite surprised to see my name in the program! It was good to catch up, and now we each have each other's phone and address and whatnot, so we can hang out.

So, seeing as how my luck is beginning to turn, and the lost are beginning to be found, hope springs eternal that the sunglasses and the yoga instructor will also soon reappear. But prayers also spring eternal for the teacher, that wherever she is, she's ok.

Peace,
Catrina

No comments: