Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Join the Revolution

I talked to my brother tonight to wish him a happy birthday, and after a rehash of the State of the Union address and a lengthy analysis of the Democratic primary race (what I can say? we're both political nerds and progressive activists) he was telling me about his latest efforts to promote his band. They're not on a label, just struggling (and, I fear, often starving) artists hoping to make a life doing what they love.

His latest strategy is to do a mass-marketing campaign via myspace (along with a new digital download program for his music). The whole idea is just fascinating to me, because he could literally reach thousands of people a day, inviting them to check out his site, and if even a fraction of them are willing to pay a buck to buy one of his songs, he might actually start making a livable wage, not to mention building the exposure and fan base that could land him better venues and better-paying gigs. Another illustration, I guess, of the kind of grassroots moblization that is possible via the internet and these social networking sites.

If you want to help him out and join the revolution, check out Mongoo Music and have a listen, or, if you're in the Twin Cities, go to one of his shows. The digital download stuff isn't fully functional yet (in part, he needs to get some cleaner recordings), but if you like any of his songs in particular, either let me know or let him know directly through myspace, so he knows which songs to get up and running first.

Peace,
Catrina

No comments: