Monday, September 14, 2009

Germination

There are some days as a pastor when you wonder whether anybody listens to anything you say, and whether anything you do is really making any difference in the world anyway.

Then there are nights like tonight, when you get to see a seed you planted a long while ago actually break up out of the ground and reach for the sun.

I had tried getting a yoga class going at our congregation a couple of years ago - I saw it as one of those "everybody wins" kind of situations, as we'd be providing something that would greatly benefit people's physical, emotional, and mental health, and not only to members of our congregation, but maybe even beyond, to folks in the surrounding community. I figured we'd maybe get 6-8 people who would take part. It never materialized, however, because the teacher I had been studying with suddenly fell off the face of the earth, never got back to me about the class at UIC (and I certainly didn't feel like I knew yoga well enough to teach it myself).

Fast forward two years: this summer one of our college-age members, whose degree is in recreational therapy, started talking about offering a yoga class at UIC this fall. People were signing up like gangbusters during August, tonight was the first class and I think we had at least 20 people there (of all different ages and abilities!)! And Kristie is a really good teacher, so I think they'll all be back - maybe they'll even invite a friend!

To God be the glory for giving the growth, always - but it's sure nice to see some seed I have planted come to fruition once in a while. :)

1 comment:

Mary Hess said...

blessings! I know the feeling. Teaching is a vocation that is very much about planting seeds, and rarely if ever seeing them come to bloom. How fun to see this one grow!