Tuesday, February 12, 2008

10 Songs About God

Picking up on the meme Mary posted in the Tensegrities blog, here is my own list of "10 Songs About God":

1. Where Are You Going? - Dave Matthews Band (Busted Stuff)
(I know it was quickly co-opted as a love song, but I hear it as a post-9/11 God's-eye view of Psalm 139)

2. Grace - U2 (All That You Can't Leave Behind)

3. Ordinary Town - Dave Carter and Tracy Grammer (drum hat buddha)

4. Kingdom Come - Coldplay (X&Y)

5. Family - Dar Williams (Mortal City)

6. I Hear Them All - Old Crow Medicine Show (Big Iron World)

7. The Ballad of Love and Hate - The Avett Brothers (Emotionalism)

8. Gentle Arms of Eden - Dave Carter and Tracy Grammer (drum hat buddha)

9. Love Will Find You - Storyhill (Storyhill)

10. Bartender - Dave Matthews Band (Busted Stuff)

Honorable mention:

Come to Jesus - Mindy Smith (One Moment More)
(seemed a little obvious - I was trying to stick with songs about God that didn't name God directly, per se)

The Story - Brandi Carlile (The Story)
(a bit of a stretch because of vs. 2, but fits my obsession with interlocking narratives, immersive story worlds, and their implications for our God talk)

Adrian - Mason Jennings (Century Spring)
(again, a bit of a stretch, but not too much I hope, to think of the voice of the narrator being Christ in, with, and under that of a lynching victim)

I'd be curious to hear what Jeni would put in the mix.

Happy listening,
Catrina

1 comment:

Terri Mork Speirs said...

Hi Catrina, O yes, I forgot about our common Dave Matthews thing. I think a lot of his stuff is about God. The Christmas Song is pretty overtly Jesus. Well, anyway, you know. MOstly, I just wanted to say hello and to thank you for your blog. All my best, thesnakecharmerswife.blogspot.com